Hobbies are fun and fulfilling. It keeps me fit and active. As I turn 30 this year, I need all the activities that I can cram in the short free time that I have every week to re-ignite my slowing metabolism. However, like other forms of recreation and entertainment, these activities can be easily scrapped off as unnecessary and a complete waste of time and money. As I seek the middle way, I will try to rationalize my current hobbies obsessions and whittle it down to a sustainable few. Yes, curbing my spending is the objective of this exercise.
I’m not that anal to do a SWOT analysis so I’ll just content myself by listing the pro and con of each hobby. Of course, the hobbies with the most cons e.g. expensive get scrapped off my plate.
– Pro – Fairly competent player already (no more learning curve aka maxed out na…ha-ha), focus intensive (ADHD placebo cure)
– Con – Relatively expensive equipment (shoes, ball and outfit), no playmates (can be remedied of course), have to play within 80% capacity threshold so as not to further injure arthritic knee.
– Pro – Has standard equipment already (racket, outfit, etc.), excellent stress reliever (imagine the shuttlecock as your boss and then smash away)
– Con – Has regressed in playing ability/skills due to arthritic knee/hips/ankle/forearms.
– Pro – Does not stress the knee at all, I’m a water nymph from a past life (?!)
– Con – location specific (you have to go out of metro manila to one of the beaches to get your fix. Doing this on a swimming pool is dorky and creepy at the same time).
– Pro – The Flow. ‘Nuff said.
– Con – Need to build up on gear and the ultimate equipment – zee surf board, is uber-expensive. Need to have a car to get carry all your gear to a beach with waves.
– Pro – Has bike already. Low impact cardio exercise ergo good alternative to running.
– Con – Upgrading the bike is somewhat addicting. The bike is 3 times more expensive from its purchase price due to the upgrades alone. Weather is crucial to a fun filled biking afternoon.
– Pro – Same pro as above with snorkeling, public swimming pools are available metro wide.
– Con – No swimming buddy (swimming alone is dangerous). By survey, entrance fees to swimming pools are kind of steep.
– Pro – Seeing the world keeps the soul from dying. It gives you a better perspective on the diversity of life and the necessity of propagating understanding and cooperation to our fellow men. Has stable group of travel buddies.
– Con – Cost intensive. Not all travel points would give you the “high” that you expected or had from previous travels. Stressful if not planned properly.
Oops, one prominent hobby is missing. Yes, I’m not into running anymore. Something has to give, my knee or running. It was a very easy choice on my side. That’s enough about my falling out with it though; running was my first and greatest love among my hobbies. Getting a 45 min PR for 10km is the sweetest, I tell you.
Hmmm…surveying what I’ve written above, I can easily do away with traveling since I can always go back to it when I explicitly need to travel for business. I can also do away with snorkeling since it’s almost the same as swimming sans the snorkeling gear. Although I love getting “the flow”, surfing is also cost extensive for me since it involves traveling also hence 2 hobbies in one. Therefore, I should also have to tighten my belt and let go of it also.
What I have left now are the following:
Swimming (done semi-regularly)
With all these activities, undeniably it begets the question, why am I still over weight? That deserves another blog entry altogether. Hihihi.
Potah ka Butchoy, sumabay ka pa sa TCP namin! Anyways, below are the pics of our (mis)adventures.
Feeling F4, mukhang ermitanyo naman.
Kunwari natuwa sila at nakita nila ako.
Welcome to Dipolog City!
I survived Cebu Pacific! Yoohoo! Ilang air pockets din yun. Hahaha.
Naunahan kami ni Butchoy sa Dakak 😦
Trek papuntang repeater ni ismart. Walang magawa kundi gumalaw-galaw, baka ma-stroke ba.
View from the top. Cool eh?
Dakak circa 1950’s
Lapad ng likod mo pare. Parang chopping-block.
From the top too. Artsy shot naman.
Artsy shot of a local flora (aka fern)
I hate you Butchoy! You ruined our vacation!
Galit pa din si Butchoy. *sigh*
This is a repeater. Bow.
For happy tummy, eat Caycay biscuits!
Back to base. Lapad ng noo nung umepal sa gilid.
“I’m leavin’ on a cebupac plane”, I’ll be back!
Sorry, no pics of the beach, the swimming pools, the restos and other amenities. The place was raining cats and dogs all the time. Couldn’t risk the phone from being wet. Oh well, life’s like that. Take it or leave it. 🙂
Just saw this pic ad from the bull runner’s site. Ultramarathon’s beckon me. I’ve never finished a marathon before. I only finished a 10k race once. Why would I want to kill myself? I dunno. I’ve never been a fast runner, but I’ve always felt that I can run all day. We’ll see now if my gut feel is right. I’ve sent an e-mail already to Sir Neville of pinoy ultramarathoners. I hope they would accept my application to join them in their training. I’m so excited!
I’ve always wanted to buy a Mizuno Running shoe ever since I started running again. I’ve always believed that no matter how good the R & D dept. of a shoes manufacturer does, specific brands would always be superior in a particular niche or sport (cases in point, nike for basketball and adidas for soccer). For running, I think only Asics and Mizuno has the right to claim as the best shoe manufacturer for this sport. So with my credit card and a lot of caffeine ( I needed it since it was Saturday morning), I went to the Paseo De Magallanes office of Mizuno for their clearance sale to look at what they have to offer to the conscientious buyer as myself. Normally, I am wary of a clearance sale since manufacturers would often sell the oldest and ugliest at the cheapest price and sell the newer models still at the premium. Thankfully, I was able to find the Mizuno Wave Precision 6 and found the price considerably fair. Just to torture myself, I looked at the newer models as well before deciding to pick-up my choice footwear. I saw Mizuno Wave Precision 8 on sale at 3.9K with original prize of 4.2k. WTF??? So off I went home with my new shoes, which I was able to snag for 2.5k. Though I had to pay in cash since my credit card declined to be of use to me. Hahaha.
Below are some of the pics that I took of the shoe yesterday. I wanted to take pictures of it before I used it today, early in the morning.
Sole View (Meron ba nun?)
Early this morning, I was able to use it and ran for 6k at my usual Makati Ave.-Rockwell route. What I noticed the most is the overall feel of my foot strikes. Online reviews mentioned that the wave technology actually helps to correct the running form of the runner. In my case, I felt that my foot strikes were more balanced and more stable unlike before when I was using other trainers. In summary, I would like to use this cliche from the Mastercard commercial:
Mizuno Wave Precision 6 – 2,500 Pesos
Experiencing the pure joy of running – Priceless
3 Hours of Sleep
8 Bottles of Beer
Eating Sloppy Fries
Bisyo, Bisyo, Bisyo
I don’t know what I’m gonna do
Let’s have fun, me and you
I’ll get my cake and eat it too
Well it’s bisyo, bisyo, bisyo
Moral of the story: Don’t try to post a blog entry when your sleep-deprived and wasted.
Seriously though, I’m on a personal revolution to quit a lot of vices that has drained my body for such a long time already! Vices that some people know, vices that I don’t dare tell my best buds. I can’t take the abuse anymore. And I need to get focused this year. I’ve been a laughing buffoon for so long (difference of laughing and non-laughing buffoon not withstanding).
Magnifico Thought for the day!: Divert all cash flow in buying books instead. Will make me more nerdy. But less beer belly? We shall see!
December 8 – 5km run – 10 rounds on Brgy. Greater Lagro’s Park (510 meters per round). Then slept the whole day. Nyahahaha.
December 9 – Weight Training – Isometric Lat – Pull (15 reps x 3 sets); Bicep Curl (15 reps x 3 sets); Overhead tricep extension (15 reps x 3 sets); Military Press (15 reps x 3 sets); shoulder raise (15 reps x 3 sets). Then slept the whole day. Nyahahaha.
During weekends, I am always motivated to train, however, since I am most comfortable at home I usually end slacking-off instead. Nevertheless , I am committed to continue working hard since I really hate running in half speed. Don’t care much about pacing since you ain’t competing if you ain’t running. 5km in 20 mins. here I come! Yoohoo!
Here I was surfing blogs of friends, ex-officemates and whatnots as I stumbled upon Farrah’s blog where I saw an online quiz about metabolism and what types of food should I eat to maximize weight loss/good health whatever. Being on a diet for 27 years, hahaha, I went to the site and completed the quiz to determine my metabolic type. After finishing, the results were in and que horror! See the results below.
What no coffee, booze and bread! Are you kidding. I didn’t know dieting was such a suicide. This is crap! Yeah, I am crap too for bitching about something that is more or less true. Hahaha.